Monday, October 28, 2013

Food

As a little kid one always looks at peoples actions and turn them into symbols as objects, or things.  In my childhood i characterized myself as a watcher, or bystander.  As my grandma, my great grandma or my mother would cook, i would observe what they made, not for content, but to know what is on the menu.  One thing i always noticed they did, no matter what foor they were preparing, was chop onions.  Onions turned to a symbol of not only food, but the women in my family that i looked up to.  In this picture i depict the onions on a cutting board. Using watercolor layering as a wet media and sharpie as my dry, i tried to show the different layers in the onions to make them look realistic.  I also used the placing of the onions for focus and movement throughout the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment